Dwayne Arthur BackstromAugust 27, 1938 ~ August 5, 2018
Dwayne’s work here is done. He received a call for an appointment from which he will not be returning. The assignment comes with a huge sign-on bonus, a reunion with family and friends he has not seen for a long time. Job security is not 100% but 300%!
His new mission takes him to a place where he will be enjoying his favorite pastimes of curling, playing ball, tossing horseshoes, fishing, camping, playing cards, telling jokes and manicuring willow shrubs. Music, laughter and love are guaranteed. DQ ice cream, black licorice, peanuts, raw cookie dough and homemade soup are always available.
He has left detailed instructions for his wife, Nellie, of almost 56 years, his daughters Kelli and Tara to celebrate his mission here, which have now been completed.
Highlights of Dwayne’s Rich Life:
- Born in Nipawin, SK
- Attended a one-room country school.
- Graduated high school in Choiceland, SK.
- Attended SAIT and trained in Ottawa for a Certificate of Proficiency in Radio.
- First posting was with D.O.T in Snag, Yukon 1960
- Married the love of his life, Nellie Eikland, September 7, 1962.
- Raised two daughters Kelli and Tara.
- Retired in 1995 after a successful career in Aviation (Federal and Yukon governments).
- 1stYear Carpentry at Yukon College 1995.
- Employed at Malamute Construction 1996 – 1999
- Moved to their lake paradise at Marsh Lake in 2000.
- Adored granddaughters Marlee, Jenna, Shayla, Lauren and son-in-law Mark.
- Loved the outdoors.
- Enjoyed family gatherings.
- Passionate about sports.
- Loved animals, hated snakes!
- Honored to be chosen as “Mr. and Mrs. Yukon” 2014
- Warm hands – kind heart.
- Blessed to have many friends and a loving family.
A Celebration of his wonderful life will take place on August 12, 2018 at 3 pm at Kwanlin Dun Cultural Centre, 1171 Front Street, Whitehorse, YT.
In lieu of flowers, donations will be put towards a memorial bench in honor of Dwayne to be placed by the Yukon River near Whitehorse.